Skip to main content

Getting A Second Wind At Life


Last year I turned 40! I can't tell you how long I have waited to reach this milestone. I envisioned it to be one of the greatest moments of my life. After all, they say "40 is the new 30" I had my first birthday party ever and the event created a moment for me to look back over my life and realize all that the Lord had done and acknowledge the connection of friends and family who played important roles over the years.  The journey has definitely been one that has shaped who I am today.
If you are anything like me,  you are constantly examining your life and finding ways to improve "YOU" and if you are really honest, you are doing your best to prevent the worst of any situation from happening. In my final year in my 30's, I started reading articles on what to expect when you turn 40 (sounds cliché enough).  I needed to prepare myself for the heat flashes, that I was already experiencing. I was hopeful that even my "sweat episodes" were enough to help me shed some pounds...wishful thinking 😊  I read about how your mindset at this stage in your life is very different from all of the stages before.  The things that matter before was only relevant during that time of my life. Words like; loyalty, impact, and vision are now the framework for my relationships, career and spiritual walk. My daily life is measured by this rubric of what we think or hope life to be.  Questions like, "Is my family getting all of me?"  "Are my friendships adding to my life, or are they draining me?"  "What type of impact am I making on my job and are the lives that I am responsible for being changed for the better?"  "Am I staying connected to my first love, Jesus and do I fully trust HIM in this new season of my life?"

Seven months in as a 40 year old and life doesn't quite look like I am imagined it.  People tell you that wisdom comes with age, I agree! But what they don't tell you is how much of an impact the lives of those around you have on your life.  The chapter for many friendships have closed, dear friends have passed away and those connected to me in the faith have experienced life-changing events.  I have found myself weeping and bombarding heaven on behalf of others, more than ever. Revelation on what discipleship truly is has definitely be revealed. I am humbled that God has chosen me to be this vessel of prayer for the individuals that are dear to me. It is definitely me riding on the
coattails of God that is strengthening me for the assignment.

So much is happening in my life right now.  To try to sum it all up in one word is challenging. Changes that had to be made in earlier months are producing the fruit that was prayed for in the past. Tough decisions are leaving me more vulnerable and naked before the Lord more than ever.  I even find myself wanting to know the "purpose" in every situation.  I'm hungry for the plan that God has for my life.  I would be lying if I told you I weren't nervous for the new birth that is getting ready to happen.  When you are half way through life, you start to look at things differently. You accept that procrastination is not an option and you run the risk of missing God when you choose not to obey.  I don't know what's to come, BUT, I do know I am going ALL THE WAY with God!!!

I'm new to this 40 group and still very much green in this stage of my life. But, what I do know is, like our emotions and feelings, life changes daily.  Your good days, aren't always those that have accomplishments attached to them. And your bad days are because you received bad news, but more so, your reaction or response to it. The days you find yourself lonely, is not because you are without options, but somehow, you drifted away from the only person who fills you up...the Holy Spirit!  I am constantly reminded that, without God I am nothing and can do nothing, John 14:12.

So 40 is happening and I have no idea what the next five months is going to look like to cap off this year.  It is nerve-wrecking and exciting all at the same time.  I do have enough spiritual experiences to encourage you that, where ever you may be in your 40's, 50's, or 60's, keeping dreaming, keeping hoping, keep believing, and most of all...keep living! One thing that I am sure about from the 40 years that I have been on this earth,  is that I am going to keep living and take life as it comes.  Remember, God's promises gives us victory!

Food for thought...
The number 40 is mentioned 146 times in Bible. It symbolizes a period of testing, trial or probation. Whether, your season has been  40 hours, 40 days, 40 weeks, or 40 years, God is faithful to complete the work is has begun.



Comments